The County Veterans Service Officer performs administrative work in advising armed forces veterans and dependents of benefits available under federal, state, and local laws.
This position assists in completing and submitting required forms, obtaining necessary legal documents, medical records and other documents required by law or in support of a claim.
The County Veterans Service Officer connects Veterans and their dependents with services available at local, state and federal level. When possible, the County Veterans Service Officer visits Veterans and/or their surviving spouses in their homes or institutions, for claim assistance, when they are unable to visit the office in person. This office also provides outreach and presents programs on Veterans’ benefits to county citizens.
- Files and processes veterans claims; ensures that all paperwork is completed and submitted properly
- Must have computer skills. Also operate fax, scanner, and printing machines
- Must have excellent communication skills both verbal and written
- Counsels Veterans on issues they may be facing and directs or refers them to the correct professional services
- Responds to Veteran’s Affairs letters; prepares a variety of correspondence as necessary
- Attends community events and shares information on the various Veterans programs in the county
- Assists pensioned Veterans and Widows in completing their annual income and medical expense reporting requirements
- Visits social services offices, law enforcement agencies, various human services offices, regional Veterans Administration offices and state institutes to render advice and assistance to Veterans
- Assists Widows and Widowers of Veterans in securing Department of Veterans Affairs death benefits
- Advises Veterans on home loans and assists them in obtaining letters of eligibility
- Confers with Quorum Court and County Judge in developing progressive plans for the division
Samuel Bibbs - Veteran's Service Officer
(870) 278-9295 (Cell)
Courthouse Annex Building in Blytheville
(Corner of Chickasawba and N. Fifth St).